Our Soon-To-Be Mobile Lifestyle
My family and I are planning our escape. It’s been years in the making, but the time is drawing near for us to execute our plan.
In this post, I’m going to talk about how my Online Marketing business is going to be supporting my family as we travel the world by sailboat.
Yes, you heard right. Sailboat.
For the longest time we’ve talked about how we wanted to travel for a long, uninterrupted period of time. On our vacations, we’ve been to places like Cozumel, Nassau, Grand Cayman – and we love it! Trouble is that those times always seem to come to and end before you are ready to leave.
There is so much to explore in those tropical places, and every time we are able to make it down there, our time is always governed by factors that are outside of our control. Typically we make our way down there by cruise ship, and we are only there for a day at a time. We are looking for ways to stay down there for a good long while, but also not wanting to move down there permanently.
The solution for us is to purchase a sailboat that will both take us there and also serve as our “house” while we are galavanting around the the Bahamas.
Challenges And Limitations
I know the idea of sailing the Bahamas sounds all well and good,
but then when you start thinking about how to fund such a grand adventure, that’s when reality really starts to set in.
There is one particularly BIG limitation to keeping a business running while we’re sailing abroad. Know what is is?
Internet and phone connections sucks in the Bahamas.
As you can imagine, the prospect of running just about any business nowadays without convenient access to phone and internet connections is pretty tough to do.
I mean, how do you run an internet business… without internet?
Well, thankfully, one of the shining attributes of an online business is that it can be set up in such a way that the vast majority of the online marketing business related tasks are automated.
- Payments: I have all of my incoming payments set up through Paypal.
- Subscribers: I teach, coach, and train through a series of automatic emails through my MadMimi account.
- Posting: I can write posts in advance and schedule them to be posted at pre-determined intervals.
- Support: My Virtual Assistant is trained and ready to handle any support-related issues when/if I can’t personally.
Online Marketing & Living Abroad
An Online Marketing Business and living abroad really do fit nicely together. Considering that we will be literally out of communication with much of the Earth, the importance of having a business that will “run itself” becomes of significant importance.
On one hand, we need to have steady money coming in so that we can finance this dream of ours.
On the other hand, we need for the business to be almost completely automated because I will be unavailable to work on it manually much of the time.
I know there probably aren’t many (any) of you whoa re reading this that have the same crazy motivation for setting up your online business the same way as I do. Still, isn’t it cool to think that you can have things running in this manner if you chose to?
When you have money coming into your world that you don’t have to work for, you don’t have bill people for, you don;t have to make product for – don’t you think that it opens up your options in a big way? Sure it does.
I really want you to be as fired up as I am over the potential that this business offers. If it weren’t for having this as a direct, hands-off, source of income, our options to live on a sailboat in the Bahamas would be much more limited.
Our Current Status
This next bit here isn’t going to be online marketing business related, but I wanted to let you know where we are in the whole “sailboat adventure” process.
- Business Automation: I’m taking additional steps to be sure that I have the business set up as “hands-off” as possible. Eventually, within the next 3-6 months, we are going to be living on a boat. Between now and then I’m doing lot’s of writing ahead of time, getting systems set up, training my VA, and ironing out little problems so that we can make this happen.
- My Primary Residence: We’ve cleaned out closets, we’ve made 6 trips to the donation center, I’ve sold loads of stuff on eBay, and we’re basically in full-on liquidation mode. My truck is up for sale, and we’re getting house ready to rent out.
- Stocking Up: We’re getting things like clothes, supplies, cookware, sailing charts, sailing books, and all other things that we anticipate needing once we are out there on our own.
- Home Schooling: Our daughter has actually just entered Kindergarten this year, but we’ll end up pulling her from school at some point and taking up home-schooling on the boat. There is actually a free internet based school that you can do, but with internet being so dicey in the Bahamas we’ll be doing the book-based course instead.
- Packing Up Belongings: There is a pile of stuff that we are taking with us, and another pile of stuff that we are storing. Even right now, there is a 4″ high x 6″ wide stack of boxes in our living room as we are getting things packed away in anticipation of our departure.
Here’s a picture of my wife Tambi, buried in the contents of one of our previously over-stuffed closets…
So, right now we are in the middle of a bunch of different tasks. Some are business related, some are school related, and others are preparation related. It’s all coming together though is an half-excited, half-confused manner. As far as the sailing related stuff, we are learning much of that as we go.
It’s a good feeling putting direct effort and energy into a big-picture goal that you really believe in.
I actually have some of the same feelings for our sailing adventure as I did initially for the online marketing business. A big mix of excitement, uncertainly, and positive energy. It’s all good though. We’re having fun, and headed in a direction that is completely new to us.
One more quick thing before I wrap up this post –
If you’d like to learn how to create your own online business, I invite you to take my free 5-day business building course. The course walks you step-by-step through the process of setting up your business. I feel like it’s the best way for someone to really set themselves up for long-term success with an online business. Check it out for yourself!
Hey there! Chime in and let me know what you think of our grand sailing plan!